Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

McFarlane Law

A Tax Law Firm - 480.991.0032


McFARLANE LAW-A Tax Law Firm is now a virtual law firm!
Send any mail or correspondence to:
PO BOX 30405, PHOENIX, ARIZONA 85046-0405
Our phone number and email address remain the same.

With over 30 years of experience in Tax Audits, Appeals, Tax Court Litigation, Collection, and Payment Plan Negotiations, we can assist you or your clients resolve tax problems.

Referrals: We regularly work with attorneys, CPAs, and bookkeepers. We are especially respectful of your relationship with your clients in a referral situation.

Thank you for your continued confidence in our practice !

McFARLANE LAW – A Tax Law Firm

PO BOX 30405 * PHOENIX * AZ * 85046-0405

T: (480) 991-0032 | F: (480) 483-6673 |

Tips for people starting a new business

Understanding the tax responsibilities that come with starting a business venture can save taxpayers money and help set them up for success. Contact your local tax attorney for advice and answers to help you through the process of starting a new business.

Here are five tips for new business owners.

Choose a business structure.

The form of business determines which income tax return a business taxpayer needs to file. The most common business structures are:

  • Sole Proprietorship: An unincorporated business owned by an individual. There’s no distinction between the taxpayer and their business.
  • Partnership: An unincorporated business with ownership shared between two or more people. A partnership is a flow thru entity, meaning that income, losses, deductions and credits flow thru to the partners based on agreed upon allocations.
  • Corporation: Also known as a C corporation. It’s a separate entity owned by shareholders.
  • S Corporation: A corporation that elects to pass corporate income, losses, deductions and credits through to the shareholders – much like a partnership. An S Corp must file an election with the IRS to be treated as an S Corp.
  • Limited Liability Company: A business structure allowed by state statute. 

Choose a “tax year.”

A “tax year” is an annual accounting period for keeping records and reporting income and expenses. A new business owner must choose either:

  • Calendar year: 12 consecutive months beginning Jan 1 and ending Dec 31.
  • Fiscal year: 12 consecutive mos ending on the last day of any month except Dec. 

Apply for an employer identification number.

An “EIN” is also called a federal tax identification number. It’s used to identify a business. Most, but not all, businesses need one of these numbers. It’s important for a business with an EIN to keep the business mailing address, location and responsible party up to date.

IRS regulations require EIN holders to report changes in the responsible party within 60 days. They do this by completing Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party and mailing it to the address on the form.

Have all employees complete these forms:

  • Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate

Pay business taxes.

The form of business determines what taxes must be paid and how to pay them. Be sure to engage a knowledgeable tax attorney and CPA/bookkeeper to assist in setting-up the tax payment structures before you start the business.

Starting a Business? Contact us!

If you plan to start a business, call McFARLANE LAW – A Tax Law Firm for assistance.

McFARLANE LAW – A Tax Law Firm

T. 480-991-0032 / e: net:

All we do is resolve tax problems! We have years dealing with the local IRS and ADOR agents.

With offices around the Phoenix valley, Tucson, and Flagstaff.

We represent clients at all administrative agency and appeal levels, the Arizona Tax Court, and the federal US Tax Court, and throughout Arizona: Phoenix, Glendale, Peoria, Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Queen Creek, Yuma, Casa Grande, Tucson, Sierra Vista, Bisbee, Flagstaff, Prescott, Payson, Coconino County, Yavapai County, Maricopa County, Pima County, Cochise County, Pinal County.

Beware: The IRS is Sending Important Notices with Bad Dates

Several of my clients received IRS Notices with due dates that already expired by the time I received the Notices because the mail date stated on the Notices was months ago-this despite being recently mailed!! The pandemic shutdown really messed things up with all agencies. (more…)

The IRS Has Been Sending Notices with Bad Dates

Taxpayers need to keep a careful eye on their IRS Notices. Many IRS Notices, many with statutory deadlines were dated during the IRS shut-down due to COVID-19, but not immediately mailed. Consequently, there are many IRS Notices with expired action dates. (more…)

I Owe Past Due Taxes. Can the IRS Take My $1200 Economic Impact Payment?

Generally, the answer is no. The exception is if the taxpayer owes child support arrearages.

Under the CARES Act guidelines and subsequent direction, Economic Impact Payments/recovery rebates/stimulus checks cannot be offset to pay any debt except child support.


Q: What if I cannot Pay my Taxes by the July 15 Deadline?

A: Taxpayers should file on time even if they cannot pay their full tax bill

You should file your tax return by the deadline even if they cannot pay the full amount due. Otherwise, you will be assessed a late filing penalty and end up owing even more. If you owe tax, but cannot pay by the July 15, 2020 deadline, you should: (more…)

480-991-0032 Send us a message

Call for a Consultation Today!

or complete the form below:

I Accept the disclaimer and privacy policy