Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

McFarlane Law

A Tax Law Firm - 480.991.0032

I Owe Past Due Taxes. Can the IRS Take My $1200 Economic Impact Payment?

Generally, the answer is no. The exception is if the taxpayer owes child support arrearages.

Under the CARES Act guidelines and subsequent direction, Economic Impact Payments/recovery rebates/stimulus checks cannot be offset to pay any debt except child support.

However, “normal” federal tax refunds remain fair game in the absence of an Offset Bypass Refund (OBR) request. NOTE: OBRs may be slightly easier to come by in these coronavirus times.

If you will have a refund on your 2019 return, but owe past due taxes and wonder if you will receive your refund this year, you should file an extension until Oct 15, 2020 and contact a tax lawyer to analyze your potential for an OBR.

When in doubt and need a top Arizona tax lawyer, call:

McFARLANE LAW – A Tax Law Firm

T. 480-991-0032 / e: [email protected]/ net:

All we do is resolve tax problems! We have years dealing with the local IRS and ADOR agents.

With offices around the Phoenix valley, Tucson, and Flagstaff.

We represent clients at all administrative agency and appeal levels, the Arizona Tax Court, and the federal US Tax Court, and throughout Arizona: Phoenix, Glendale, Peoria, Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Queen Creek, Yuma, Casa Grande, Tucson, Sierra Vista, Bisbee, Flagstaff, Prescott, Payson, Coconino County, Yavapai County, Maricopa County, Pima County, Cochise County, Pinal County.

480-991-0032 Send us a message

Call for a Consultation Today!

Email: [email protected]
or complete the form below:

    I Accept the disclaimer and privacy policy